Cleaning Out: The Ideal Way to Get Rid of Electronics

Tagged As:

Whether you’re a part of Generation X, Y or Z, it’s difficult to deny that technology goes fast. The instant that you get a new pc, mobile phone or tv, there’s something much better and faster just around the corner. Sad to say, the faster technology goes and needs to be replaced, the electronics are being left handed. E-waste (electronic waste) is increasing at three times the rate of other waste.

On average, only 15% of individuals recycle their computers, which means the other 85% wind up in a landfill. Because many of these devices contain hazardous materials such as mercury and lead, we’re placing our world and our health at risk. Rather than tossing your old technology toy in the garbage, start looking into other options. Nearly every digital device can be recycled, donated, sold, or compacted . Read on to determine which choices suit you.

Recycle. In many states it’s really illegal to throw televisions and other electronic equipment into the garbage. Legislation for e-waste varies by country, so make sure to check local disposal laws. has a helpful chart that’s updated continuously.

Some imports accept electronic equipment for recycling, but that number remains small. Telephone your regional landfill to test in their recycling policies. Additionally, many communities have frequently scheduled E-waste drop-off times; to locate one in your area go to

One of the greatest ways to market your TV, personal computer, mobile phone, or other digital device is to contact the manufacturer. Within the previous 5 decades, producers have responded to customer demands and market their products for free. Others have partnered with digital recycling facilities to give consumers more options.

Important companies that offer recycling services to consumers include:
Best Purchase

Remember that many of these companies also accept batteries and chargers, but check before taking yours in.

Donate. If your TV, computer, or mobile phone is in working order, consider donating it to a local charity, shelter, community business, or college. Organizations such as the Salvation Army and Goodwill are often pleased to take a functioning TV or computer off your hands. (Hint: Rent a refrigerator dolly before moving an especially large TV, so that you don’t break your back hauling it to the nearest donation center.)

Online classes, like are other great options.

Of course there’s always the choice of trying to make some cash off a TV, computer, or mobile phone. If you don’t think it qualifies as a classic collectible, this route generally only works when you’re dealing with a fairly current version. Before placing it on Craigslist or eBay, make sure that your personal information and files are erased from your telephone or computer’s hard drive.

Reuse. Before tossing your TV, consider repairing it — particularly if it’s covered by a standard or extended warranty. Free tech support hotlines, your TV manual’s troubleshooting section, or internet technology forums can be helpful. Most experts say fixes normally aren’t worth it if they are more expensive than half of the TV’s worth.

If you’re getting rid of your older TV in favor of an upgrade, consider adding little improvements rather. Speakers or visual enhancement devices can enhance your TV’s functionality, providing an upgrade without having to scrap it for a new version.

Of course, when you’re feeling easy, there’s always the choice of trying to reuse bits and pieces of your discarded electronic equipment. Websites like Make and Instructables offer great tutorials on all sorts of DIY jobs made with older electronic pieces.

E-waste recycling tools:
E-cycling Central
Earth 911
Electronic Manufacturers Recycling Management Company

More recycling hints:
How to Eliminate an older mattress
How to Eliminate an old carpet

See related